Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jeff Gordon's Last Full-Time Season

Jeff Gordon Tribute


By Richard Tix

News broke today that Jeff Gordon announced he would be retiring after the 2015 season. To many NASCAR fans it is down right heart breaking even thought we all knew it was coming. I found the news when I got on Twitter for the first time today and it hit me pretty hard.

That's saying something, because I don't call myself a Gordon fan. I respect the heck out of him as a driver and as an individual and I think that is something you can never take from a man. The West Coast kid helped bring NASCAR to a new level while also being one of the best drivers on the track year to year.

Not only did Gordon win four Championships (just through 2014) and tons of races, but he helped bring NASCAR to a whole new level in the 90's. Gordon was around for NASCAR's big expansion and helping grow its popularity during the height of NASCAR.

When I go back and think about the NASCAR I grew up on I think of Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, etc. The Earnhardt v Gordon rivalry was great to witness growing up because it was two drivers with different styles going out there and competing and showing both ways could work in the sport.

Gordon telling the #24 team the news
This season might not be the last time we see him though, "I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I’ve decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won’t use the ‘R-word’ because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there’s always the possibility I’ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that." -Yahoo Sports

So 2015 will provide a great farewell tour, but we may still get to see him in a few races here and there going forward. Even when he steps away from the wheel he will still stay heavily involved in NASCAR and racing. "I don’t foresee a day when I’ll ever step away from racing. I’m a fan of all forms of motor sports, but particularly NASCAR. We have a tremendous product, and I’m passionate about the business and its future success. As an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports, I’m a partner with Rick (Hendrick) and will remain heavily involved with the company for many years to come. It means so much to have the chance to continue working with the owner who took a chance on me and the incredible team that’s stood behind me every step of the way." -Yahoo Sports

Gordon will leave behind an amazing NASCAR Cup career that included (at the time of the article, through the 2014 season) 4 titles in 1995, 1997, 1998. and 2001. He may have even more titles if it was not for consent point changes in the NASCAR rules. He also had 92 career wins through 2014 in 761 career races. In that same time he put up 320 top 5's and 454 top 10's. Add onto those numbers 77 Pole Awards, an average finish of 12.4, and 24,664 laps led and you have yourself a future NASCAR Hall of Famer. 

Not only has Gordon made a huge impact on us fans, but also on his boss Rick Hendrick, "There’s simply no way to quantify Jeff’s impact,” Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick said. “He’s one of the biggest sports stars of a generation, and his contributions to the success and growth of NASCAR are unsurpassed. There’s been no better ambassador for stock car racing and no greater representation of what a champion should be. I will never be able to properly express the respect and admiration I have for Jeff and how meaningful our relationship is to me. I’m so grateful for everything he’s done for our company and my family, and I look forward to many more years together as friends and business partners." 

Their is no doubt that Jeff Gordon will be missed on the track after the 2015 season, but that wont stop us from taking in every moment we can before he stops strapping into that #24 that he made so popular. 2015 will be a season to remember so as a fan I would recommend taking in every moment that you can. 

NASCAR Behind the Wall wants to congratulate Jeff Gordon on a successful career thus far and wish him luck in 2015. Now, lets take a look back through photo's:
































































Congrats Jeff Gordon on an amazing career, and here is to a great 2015!

No comments: