Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Week 23 Preview: Michigan (Race Two)

Pure Michigan 400

Week 23


By Richard Tix

Its the big one all year. Not the Daytona 500, not the All Star Race, not the (horribly long named race) at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, not Talladega, and not the last race of the season at Holmstead. Yes, its the Pure Michigan 400! 

I understand, to most of you this is just another race at Michigan, but to me this is my chance every year to actually make it to a live Cup race. Living in MN (and the costs of traveling to races) I don't get many opportunities to go to the tracks in person. Now, I would love to but I would need a job that allows this (time off and money come to mind). So I settle for getting to go to MIS once a year where my brother, our friend, his wife, and this year (for the first time) my fiance and I get to see Cup racing in person. 

We have friends that moved out to MI after college so we also get to spend time with a group of good friends as well. Since 2006 I have not missed an August race (except the year it was rained out and the date was moved). So, in my books this date shoots way up the board's when talking about races that are on my "can't wait" list, as you can imagine.

This year we may not be getting garage passes like we have almost every year in the past, but that will not get in the way of my enjoyment of actually being at the track. I may try and post some updates on the blog, but I will for sure try to send some updates via Twitter (@NASCARBTW). So keep an eye out for them. Also, my review and Power Rankings will be late (most likely Tue when I get home).

If you haven't, I suggest giving Racing to Remember a read. An article done after the passing of Kevin Ward Jr. 

The Good, Middle, and Bad

The Good
  • Greg Biffle- RFR cars were not at there best last time around at MIS, but don't count out Biffle. He has a long track record at this track and has been on a mini hot streak as of late as he tries to make a push for the Chase.
  • Brad Keselowski- In his last 6 starts at MIS he has 3 top 5's (3rd, 2nd, and 3rd) and 3 finishes in the top 15 (13th, 12th, and 12th). I still think one of these years sooner then later BK will win at MIS, maybe this will be the year?
  • Kevin Harvick- In his last 6 starts at MIS he has 4 top 10's and 3 top 5's including 3 straight top 5's. In fact, those three straight top 5's have all been 2nd place finishes.
The Middle
  • Clint Bowyer- Bowyer held this spot last time; "6 straight top 10's, and 8 top 10s in the last 10 races. Yet, Clint hasn't been a big time contender at MIS for a win. So, it is very possible he will finish in the top 10, but it might be a stretch to think he will win." Well add to those stats another top 10 earlier this year, but yet again he wasn't in contention for the win.
The Bad
  • Aric Almirola- Aric is the only driver of the three that was on this list earlier this year and once again makes it this time. That's not the list you want to make back to back times, but Aric finished 31st last time around while JJ (finished first) and Kurt Busch (finished 13th) left the list.
  • Kyle Busch- He wont be on this list next time (I predict he should have a decent finish) but fact is his last two finishes have been 31st and 41st. For fantasy purposes take this with a grain of salt, as he has run well in years past.
  • Denny Hamlin- In 6 races DH hasn't finished in the top 10. In fact, he hasn't sniffed the top 10 except for one 11th place finish in that time. His other 5 finishes? (35th, 34th, 30th, 20th, and 29th). Those are some rough numbers.
Track Stats
  • Cale Yarborough won the first race at MIS in 1969 and also two of the first three.
  • The furthest back a driver has started a race from and won was 32nd in 2009 by Mark Martin.
  • A MIS race has been won 17 times from the Pole position, mot recently was two races ago won by Joey Logano.
  • Most cautions was 10 in 2006 and the race was won by Matt Kenseth. This is also the only MIS race that had double digit cautions in 89 races.

More MIS Articles

No comments: