Thursday, June 15, 2017

Behind the Wall Hits 1,000

Image result for 1000

By Richard Tix

Yup, 1,000 articles. I can't wrap my head around it either, HOW ARE YOU FOLKS STILL HERE READING THIS STUFF! Just kidding. :). 1,000 articles, countless words, hundreds of race previews, reviews, power rankings, and driver spotlights. Plus, don't forget the thousands of typos that come with my (mostly) unedited blog posts.

If I had the time not like I did when I started we would be far past 1,000 by now because I truly enjoy creating content for this hobby and this sport. Everything started back in 2013 when I decided I didn't want to look at the main stream NASCAR media for Power Rankings, because rankings like that are partially opinion and I wanted to form my own.

In my very first Power Rankings article none other than Jimmie Johnson graced the number one spot. Guys like Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, and Greg Biffle all were mentioned and are all now not running in 2017. While I miss those times, we have come a long way up until now.

I love this sport and I love this hobby. It keeps me engaged week to week even when I miss a race and lets me look at things from a bit of a different perspective than that of just a casual fan (not that anything is wrong with that). Oh, and best of all it helps me interact with other fans like myself when I need more than 140 characters...

The Behind the Wall peak so far was 2014 and 2015 where each year I pushed out 328 and 303 articles respectively. Folks in NASCAR like to talk about the "good ole days," and when it come to NBTW those were the years! I had a lot more time on my hands and my position at my real life job (yes, I have one of those) was much less time demanding which let me explore plenty of extra opinion pieces. Once 2016 started I had a brand new position/promotion, and a lot less time. Over time things dwindled down to mostly just weekend previews and weekly power rankings. Yet, most of y'all stuck with me through it all.

If you're just joining or have been around for all 1,000, I truly thank you. Seeing people actually visiting the blog or responding to articles is more than I even hoped when I started. Since for the most part my personal opinions and tidbits get thrown in and out of articles, it's hard to follow, so I will catch you up on some NBTW facts about me.


Getting to know NBTW at 1,000:

  • Behind the Wall is 100% run by just one person, me, myself, and I. 
  • Power Rankings and Paint Schemes were the original basis for starting NBTW
    • I honestly just wanted to track them for my own viewing pleasure
  • I'm 29 years old and became a fan in the 1990's
  • I first clung onto Jeff Gordon, but once I was more diverse in the sport I branched out in fandom
    • Bobby Labonte, Bill Elliott, and Ricky Rudd were who I normally pulled for
  • I went to my first actual Cup race in August of 2006 at MIS speedway.
    • This was a graduation present from my oldest brother, who originally got me into the sport.
  • I haven't missed a MIS race in Aug. since then (technically I missed the 2007 race, but was at the track that weekend before it was rained out).
  • Every year in MI we stay with some friends and meet other friends who travel from CT. We all became so close that the whole group attended my wedding in 2015.
  • The only other Cup track I have gone to is Charlotte Motor Speedway (ASR in 2016).
  • I try to stay unbiased on here and Twitter, but my number one is Brad Keselwoski and has been since his early days with HMS. Past that it is a bunch of guys I like to follow.
  • When BK went to Dodge and had Miller Lite on his car it was a lock that he was #1, 2, and 3.
    • I like Miller Lite
    • Been a Dodge fan my whole life
  • Because of Dodge I have "fan" ties to Newman and Kahne. 
  • I'm also a fan of Chase Elliott (because of his dad), Ryan Blaney (BKR when he was in the truck), Bowyer (because he is hilarious), and Kyle Larson
  • Some lower level guys I like: Ty Majeski, Bubba Wallace (now in Cup), Byron, Hemric, Seig, Enfinger, Grala, Gragson, Jordan Anderson, Tommy Joe Martin, etc, etc. (Seriously the list goes on of guys I like especially because many of them are so good at responding/being available on social media)
  • Favorite Tracks (in no order): Martinsville, Dover, Bristol, Richmond, WG, NHMS, and Darlington
    • Runner Ups: Auto Club and Phoenix
  • Track I want to be added to the Cup Schedule: Iowa Speedway (I'm from Minnesota, people!!)
  • Current Point Standings yes or no: Yes, I love the mix of season long performance and playoff drama that will come.
  • Playoffs yes or no: Yes. I liked straight up points too, but the playoffs helps increase a casual fans ability to relate it with other sports, IMO.
NBTW Personal (non NASCAR) Facts:
  • Have lived in Minnesota my whole life
  • Grew up in a town of 163 people
  • Went to Minnesota State University, Mankato
    • Hockey is our one DI sport
    • Fun Fact: Minnesota Vikings WR Adam Thielen went to MNSU
    • Vikings training camp has been held on campus since 1966 (might be moving soon)
    • The new Vikings headquarters will be about 5 min from my house (might be where they move training camp to)
  • I'm an avid sports fan all around.
  • Played basketball in HS (only Varsity sport I went out for for some dumb reason)
    • I'm 5'9" so basketball wasn't the easiest of choices
  • Still play Beer League Softball (used to play 3-4 nights a week)
    • Fun fact: My sister is in the USSSA Hall of Fame (a softball association)
    • She plays in "World's" every year in FL and has been named MVP more than once
  • I am a hometown sports fan (Vikings, Twins, Wild, Wolves, and Gophers).
  • UNC is my number one for NCAA Basketball though. They have been since I was little. 
  • I am an "oops." My closest sibling is 13 years from me. She loved Jordon, hence me picking up on UNC...
  • I dabble in watching Golf and soccer as well. I also dabble in playing golf (a slice is a nice way of putting it)
  • I have partial season tickets for the Minnesota Twins
    • #MLBsBasement was a thing last year
  • I have a Golden Retriever named Cooper, he's pretty cool

Well, that's it, that's 1,000. If you need to know even more about me I won't be going anywhere, I just may not post as many articles :). Or, you can always ask me in the comments below or on Twitter @NASCARBTW. 

As for y'all, thank you again! Number 1,000 is only possible with at least a small following coming on and checking out the weekly articles. It means a ton that NASCAR fans care so much that they will find their way to my site from time to time. Thanks again and here is to the next 1,000!

No comments: