Monday, May 19, 2014

2014 Iowa Speedway: Newton 250

2014 NASCAR Nationwide Road Trip to Newton, Iowa


By Richard Tix

Every year since 2006 I have made a trip to Michigan International Speedway for the August race. Being from MN finding the time and money to spend on my NASCAR passion has not been an easy task. That is the biggest reason I have still only been to MIS to see the Sprint Cup run (Kansas maybe in the future as it is only an 8 hour drive). We also have been talking about trying to at least cross the All-Star race off the bucket list as I have a few good friends that go almost every year.

But I wont run down the bucket list of tracks and events I would like to go to in NASCAR because it is a long one. However, this year we finally pulled the trigger on the NASCAR Nationwide race in Newton, Iowa at Iowa Speedway. This trip started out as a Saturday morning road trip that took about four hours. We all loaded up (9 of us, 6 adults and 3 kids) and got down to our destination about 2 pm. 

After a day of getting supply's in the small town of Prarie City (and possible hitting the one bar in town, newly named Uptown) we made it back for the All-Star Race. We hung around the farm all Saturday riding horses, playing around with the kids, and watching the race.  Sunday morning we headed to the track. Two of the kids stayed behind as they would rather ride horses and play with the farm cats then come along. 

As for the third kid, who came with, this would be his first race in person. For the record I do not have any children so watching his excitement as we got to the track was awesome. Even before that, we walked up to the track, just in time as the Monster Energy Extreme team was starting. We watched the Dirt bikes, four wheeler and Snowmobile (Snow Machine for some Canadian readers! Ha) take off on a ramp and fly through the air. I have seen this type of stuff plenty, but for our first time NASCAR tag along it was jaw dropping (these guys are crazy, but awesome by the way). 

Onto the race. The best quote from Cy (the young tag along) was, "this is even more exciting than it is on TV." To put it this way, he had a ball. He also was pulling for Hornish Jr from start to finish so it was a cool experience. Now, all we will hear is when are we going back? He already wants to go to a Cup track.

My Take: 

I am hoping NASCAR brings the Cup cars here in the future. The Nationwide race was definitely fun but some of it dragged out. However, I think the Cup cars would be that much more exciting. Not only would Cup cars be great action, but Iowa Speedway would add an extra short track to the schedule. 

In my opinion, NASCAR needs to add a few more short tracks back on the schedule. Some 1.5 mile tracks that get two races could take a cut back and have one to make room for this exciting brand of racing. I know it may take a few years. but NASCAR should keep looking into Iowa Speedway. 

Now for a look at my weekend through photos. Starting at the Farm and ending with the race on Sunday.



























All of these photo's were taken by myself (excluding the title photo of the track, I did not get to go in a helicopter this weekend to take photo's). If you also want to follow me on more than just Twitter, follow me on Instagram: RTIX. 

No comments: